Thursday, May 21, 2009

May is Military Appreciation Month


I am pretty darn excited that today is the last workday for four days and next week I only have two work days :-) Today at lunch I will be attending a Hawaii Military Appreciation Luncheon at the Hilton, I am being awarded the Outstanding Sailor of the Year Award. All services Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and National Guard are being recognized today so I think this is pretty neat that I get to represent my brothers and sisters in the Navy. I hope that I smile good :-) I recently had one of the most memorable experiences in my Navy career by being a Pacific Fleet Shore Sailor of the Year Finalist. I got to participate in a week long shin-dig/ review to compete to win and move to the next level of competition in Washington DC. I didn't win, but it was a great experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Here is a picture with some of the folks that have helped me get to this milestone in my career.






You can read about the Sailor of the Year Competition at http://mooringlines.blogspot.com/ and at http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=44712



Here is a picture of all of the service members recognized at the Luncheon, I am the 3rd from the right (the first man on the right was a presenter of awards) I am between the Army and the Coast Guard guys.

The greatest thing about today is that I received two round-trip tickets to the Big Island and a Two night stay at Kiluea Military Camp (at Volcano National Park) for two! I got $100 gift certificate from Tesoro Gas Station, and a Turtle Bay Escapes Free membership (value $219) includes one night stay, one round of golf and other benefits! I sure didn't expect these things when I got this award but it was a nice suprise.

Here I am with a great gal PSC Rachelle Familia, she has helped me so much with my quest to become a chief/LDO and just better person all around. I am very thankful that she is part of my family! Thanks Rachelle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment